27 Comments

1. thantei c
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

Wow. I’m glad to know I’m not the only person who thought Tony Robbins’s books are bogus. I couldn’t finish to read them and regretted purchasing them. There are just so many people writing books and publishing it with extravagant marketing skills lately that it has regretfully become difficult to find great books.

2. Elyse Hazelton
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

this guy makes me feel human again

3. Soytu19
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

We are the only animal that comes to this world crying.

4. Yujin Cho
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

Look in deeper in terms of what the Bible talks about pessimism. Read Ecclesiastes. Man, he is giving Christianity a bad rap.

5. David Crews
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

Timidity is not an accurate synonym of the word “meek” in the context of the Bible. The ancient translations of the word “meek” shows a meaning far different from being timid – having the capability to defend oneself or others and destroy your enemies, but instead choosing a path that is commensurate justice to those who trespass against us. Being meek had nothing to do with being a coward, it had everything to do with choosing not to destroy everything. That’s why the meek shall inherit the earth, they understand how to defeat evil because they recognize their ability to become evil and voluntarily control it.

6. Kay Bee
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

I feel even more pessimistic now…

7. EyeKnowThatEyeKnowNothing Plato
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

10:30 or was it?! "HISTORYGATE; FOMENKO, NEWTON, and COUNTERFEIT POMPEII" by Observation Deck.

Great Mr de Bottom!!…if that is your real name at all 😉

8. Stephan's Larry
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

This should be called " mastering The art of Contentment "…I don't fully agree with all that have being said. I do see the point.

9. David Meijer
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

Stoicism is now branded as a form of toxic masculinity in German psychiatric practice now, as I understand

10. moonlightdriver800
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

Damn, now I have an addiction: School of Life videos. Those became both a narcotic and a stimulant. I think that is not what Botton had in mind…

11. David Cooper
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

Nietzsche has got it wrong about Christianity. Listen to the words again – Blessed are the meek etc. It is indeed calling for people to embrace their situation. It very much agrees with what you are saying. Christians are encouraged to see their smallness, to be real about their faults and admit they are flawed. The optimism does not come from ego and inflated self opinion or happiness but the very same grief, pessimism and sadness mentioned taken on board and seen for its reality. The upside is the knowledge and faith that there is one who is greater and a comforter who wants to share themselves and relate to your grief because he suffered every sort of grief there is in existence

12. Aakarsh Darla
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

Sit straight by Align the bottom.

13. CellGames2006
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

In China they have a meritocratic system. They have social credit starting 2020: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System

"From the Chinese government's Plan for Implementation, the SCS is due to be fully implemented by 2020. Once implemented the system will manage the rewards, or punishments, of citizens on the basis of their economic and personal behavior. Some types of punishments include: flight ban, exclusion from private schools, slow internet connection, exclusion from high prestige work, exclusion from hotels, and registration on a public blacklist.
    The rewards of having a high score include easier access to loans and jobs and priority during bureaucratic paperwork. Likewise, the immediate negative consequences for a low score, or being associated to someone with a low score, ranges from lower internet speeds to being denied access to certain jobs, loans and visas."

14. merete rosenberg

love it. thank you

15. Pete Shand

Thank you Alain, great talk! 🙂

16. Neil Aspinall
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

All said here is genius and the sad truth.

17. darladarlading

Marry me, Alain de Button. * sets expectations low *

18. Happy Le
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

i wonder what he thinks of buddhism's goal of non-suffering.

19. Laura Kakoschke
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

…all good friendships are about confessions…..

20. looper time
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

thanks for this video!! this really cheers me up.

21. Kathlyn Hinesley
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

This is making me smile! You mean it's okay to be pessimistic? Awesome! I'm right where I need to be.

22. Shojae Ebrahimi
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

I like the idea of putting a sulk on our desk! I do embrace the dark side of my life. Thank you for the video.

23. Aaliya Basseer
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

YouTube…let me download without premium, I can't live like this.

24. Michael Rivadavia

25. Vera Lozovskaia -Lebouc
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

What a great man! He is much more valuable than a doctor for our individualistic society as he spreads widely i hope, his curing ideas. he changes lives i believe.

Firstly, I started listen to him because i learn English, and i was fascinated by the quality of his diction and by the beauty of his language . Instantly i 've become a fan of him. Glory to Alain, Thank you YouTube!

26. Mohanad Al Olimat
    July 10, 2019 @ 4:30 pm

I enjoyed this new perspective although it felt uncomfortable that I agreed with it.

27. MayaA scarlet